Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Happy Solstice 2009


"Solstice" is derived from the Latin phrase for "sun stands still." Or better known as "Tang Yuan" in chinese.

That's because—after months of growing shorter and lower since the summer solstice—the sun's arc through the sky appears to stabilize, with the sun seeming to rise and set in the same two places for several days. Then the arc begins growing longer and higher in the sky, reaching its peak at the summer solstice.

Being the shortest day of the year, the winter solstice is essentially the year's darkest day, but it's not the coldest.

Throughout history, humans have celebrated the winter solstice, often with an appreciative eye toward the return of summer sunlight. The night on this day is the longest during a year, so “Winter Solstice rice ball” are made at this night. And the rice balls are must ate by couple for good luck. If two balls are left at last, the married will have all their wishes; if one, the unmarried will have success. Fruits and food are used to sacrifice to the ancestors.

The solstices occur twice a year (around December 21 and June 21). I grew up in a family celebrating only once a year and almost every year I celebrate this festive a day after my birthday. The night after my birthday I remembered helping my mum making solstice balls with various of colors - red, white and green. After praying the next morning, solstice balls must be ate by every family members. Said it is for good luck plus whoever ate solstice ball - you are a year older. So gosh me, I am a year older (once more) after my birthday. How sad right Hee.

But trust me, nobody dislike eating solstice balls because they are simply delicious. I made my own solstice balls, counting for the 6th years already. And my favorite solstice balls with red bean paste/peanut/black sesame seed filling and serve with soya bean! Its really yummy yummy =)

TaaaDaaaaaa . . .

0 Anti-Kubi on "Happy Solstice 2009"

Kubi's Travel Blog

  • Santa Monica Los Angeles - (Travel Period : 8th July - 14th July 2009) Pictures taken in LA are all copyrighted by Danbo & WCChen Santa Monica Beach - situated beneath the palisades a...
    14 years ago

CuBee Wish List

  • iPhone4
  • Fossil Whitey Watch
  • Pinky Sony Netbook

I've been there

  • St.Pete Russia, Nederland, France, England, Scotland, Dubai UAE 2010
  • USA 2009 - New York, California, Nevada, Florida
  • Spain, Scotland, England 2009
  • Riga, Italy, Austria, Switzerland 2008
  • Ireland, Germany, France, England, Sweden 2008
  • Hong Kong, Singapore, Turkey 2007
  • Italy, Dubai UAE 2006
  • China, Thailand 2004

Kubi Next FootSteps

  • Greece
  • Nepal
  • Tibet
 

Hocus Pocus Copyright 2008 Fashionholic Designed by Ipiet Templates Distributed by Blogger Templates